Today’s news is very simple to understand. Netflix decided it made sense to pay Comcast for every port they use to connect to Comcast’s network, like many other content owners and network providers have done. This is how the Internet works, and it’s not about providing better access for one content owner over another, it simply comes down to Netflix making a business decision that it makes sense for them to deliver their content directly to Comcast, instead of through a third party. Tied into Netflix’s decision is the fact that Comcast guarantees a certain level of quality to Netflix, via their SLA, which could be much better than Netflix was getting from a transit provider. While I don’t know the price Comcast is charging Netflix, I can guarantee you it’s at the fair market price for transit in the market today and Comcast is not overcharging Netflix like some have implied. Many are quick to want to argue that Netflix should not have to pay Comcast anything, but they are missing the point that Netflix is already paying someone who connects with Comcast. It’s not a new cost to them.
While this may be a tempest-in-a-teapot situation, I assume most people are freaking out here because of this news mixed with the proposed Time Warner Cable acquisition. And I’m fine with that because people should be freaking out about the latter, even if not the former.
This is all well and good to hear.
However there is a trend with large companies taking small liberties and charges at a time.
Do I think we’re immediately screwed by the agreement and the merger? No.
What I’m trepidatious about is the habit corporate entities have of taking small; slow steps to overtake a market in the long run.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. Neither is a monopoly; which is what Rome fucking was.
- threenotch reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- coketalk likes this
- tylerneilson likes this
- franciscohui likes this
- khealywu likes this
- punkassjim reblogged this from parislemon
- jfriedman likes this
- jdhtwo likes this
- notlost likes this
- elliottpesut likes this
- thegongshow said: Don’t be fooled by Dan. He uses a demeaning, condescending tone, in place of logic.
- bakcwadrs likes this
- letsdownshift reblogged this from parislemon
- sarahsamudre likes this
- beanoa reblogged this from parislemon
- lankypages likes this
- notabuddhist likes this
- lilly likes this
- scarlet-jade reblogged this from bookoisseur
- chrischelberg likes this
- girlcalledtennessee reblogged this from raven-puffle
- coffeepizzatentacles likes this
- raven-puffle reblogged this from parislemon
- raven-puffle likes this
- annejjanssens likes this
- myturtlespeedy likes this
- ohhleary likes this
- blackrectangle reblogged this from parislemon
- goblin-crusher likes this
- mygifttohumanity likes this
- jackdaws-pocketbook likes this
- womaninterrupted likes this
- manda-b94 likes this
- javs42 reblogged this from parislemon
- sallydoodle reblogged this from parislemon
- sallydoodle likes this
- treasuresofdistraction reblogged this from mildlyamused and added:
- pointsnandfigures likes this
- bbqequipmentfortheblind reblogged this from parislemon
- bbqequipmentfortheblind likes this
- berenzero reblogged this from laughterkey
- berenzero likes this
- fred-wilson likes this
- apositivefarce likes this
- thesedullcoweyes likes this
- bobbycaputo likes this
- thebeeobee likes this
- joesternephoto reblogged this from parislemon
- the-schwarzschild-radius likes this
- heintzcr reblogged this from bookoisseur